Family Visas

Partner Visas

These visas are for the partners of people who are UK citizens or permanent residents, or with refugee status.

Basic Rules Overview

There are three categories:

  1. Partner (married or in a civil partnership),
  2. Partner (unmarried or same-sex relationship),
  3. Fiance(e) or proposed civil partner.

The documents required are different for each category, but in all cases:

  • The relationship must be genuine,
  • There are certain financial and accommodation requirements,
  • The applicant must reach a minimum standard in the English language.

Please contact us for information on the full rules regarding your precise situation, the details of how to show that you meet the above criteria and which documents are needed.

Extension of this visa

Fiance(e) visas are valid for 6 months. Once the relationship has been formalised through marriage or civil partnership, the applicant can switch to a Partner visa. Partner visas are valid for 30 months, which can then be extended for another 30 months. After this, the applicant will be eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.