The UK Government has provided further information about the proposed creation of a post study visa route earlier announced in September 2019. This route is called Graduate Immigration Route. It will enable international students to remain in the UK for two years after they have completed their studies. While it is similar to the old Post Study provisions, it has several changes which we have highlighted below.
- It will be available to international students who have completed a degree at undergraduate level or above at a Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance. The international student must have a valid Tier 4 visa at the time of application.
- Successful applicant on this route will be able to stay and work, or look for work, in the UK at any skill level for a maximum period of two years.
- As a graduate you will be able to switch into skilled work once you have found a suitable job.
- The new route will be launched in the summer of 2021, meaning that any eligible student who graduates in the summer of 2021 or after will be able to apply for the route. This includes students who have already started their courses.
- Universities will also be able to attract students starting in the 2020/21 academic year on the basis that they will benefit.
- Those who graduate and whose Tier 4 leave expires before the route is introduced will not be eligible.
- The graduate immigration route will require a new application.
- It will include the payment of a visa fee and the Immigration Health Surcharge.
- This route does not lead towards settlement.
More than ever it is time for students to select UK universities as their place of choice to study and take advantage of fulfilling their goal of studying, working, living and contributing to the UK economy.
To apply for your university place and visa or to discuss and plan your relocation to the UK under this route, please contact us or book an appointment.
Peju is one of the UK’s leading Immigration Consultants. She is a highly experienced and sought after Immigration and Compliance Consultant with over 12-years’ experience dealing with UK Visas & Immigration.
She is registered by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner at the highest level and has supported businesses to ensure that the migration of staff is compliant with relevant country migration laws, especially the United Kingdom.